Required Documentation

Residency Requirements

Required Documentation to Complete Enrollment

1. Proof of Residence in Wando High School Attendance Zone Three documents are required for proof of residency:

1. Residency Verification (Category 1)
2. Official Mail Verification (Category 2)
3. A signed and notarized Residency Affidavit

About proof of Residency, Category 1 and 2 Documents:
• Both documents must have the parent/guardian name, address, and date
• Post Office Boxes are unacceptable – street address is required
• Documents must be dated within 90 days of enrollment
• Property tax statement must be the most current
  Example: If enrolling for the 2018-2019 school year, the 2017 tax statement must be `presented

Category 1: Residency Verification

• Rental Property: a copy of the signed and dated lease is required.  If a lease was not
  provided or required by the property owner at the time of occupancy, a
  signed, notarized and dated statement from the property owner verifying that the
  parent/guardian and the student are domiciled at the stated address is required.

• Owned Property: a copy of the most recent property tax bill for your home with the  
  parent/guardian as owner on the bill is required. If the property is newly owned and  
  the tax bill has not been received, a mortgage statement or HUD 1-Settlement
  Statement can be accepted.

• Property Purchase or Home Building in Process: a copy of the contract for sale with
  closing date, including buyer and seller, or a copy of the contract for construction is

Category 2: Official Mail Verification (must show parent/guardian name)

• Electric, gas, or water bill
• Telephone bill (cannot be a cell phone bill)
• Cable bill
• Car registration (not a driver’s license)
• Current pay stub (must show employer’s name, name and address of the
• Local, state or federal agency correspondence that reflects the name and address of
  the parent/guardian (Social Security, Medicaid, DSS, IRS, food stamps, court
  documents, etc.)

Residency Affidavit
Must have the student’s name, the parent/guardian’s full name and address
• Must be notarized with the seal of the notary and/or their signature and expiration

  Please note:
The affidavit cannot be altered in any way.

If a student’s family is residing in the home or apartment of another individual, the person with whom the parent/guardian and the student are living must:

• Complete the portion of the affidavit, entitled Head of Household other than
   Parent/Guardian OR present a notarized letter stating the parent/guardian and
   student currently reside at the address in question
• Provide the required documents from Category 1 and Category 2.

2. Proof of Authorized Person to Enroll
The follow
ing persons are authorized to enroll students:
• Parent (natural or adoptive) • Legal guardian*
• Foster parent appointed by a state agency
• Sponsor for approved International Exchange Program

*Legal Guardianship or custody papers are required only in the case where a student under the age of 18 is living with someone other than a natural parent. The person authorized to enroll the student must present one of the following:
• Driver’s license
• State identification card
• Passport
• Other official photo identification

3. Proof of Student’s Age
The student’s legal birth certificate must be presented to enroll in school. There are four ways to apply for a South Carolina Birth Certificate. Information is provided through the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (SCDHEC). The following link provides this information: You may also call the DHEC State Vital Records Office at 803-898-3630.

4. Proof of Immunization
A current South Carolina Immunization Record or an out-of-state immunization record for transfer students must be presented. For those students with religious or medical exemptions, the appropriate certificate for exemption from the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (SCDHEC) must be presented. More information may be found at the following SCDHEC link: More information on the Charleston County School District’s immunization requirements may be found at
You may also call Charleston County School District’s Department of Nursing Services at (843) 745-2183 for additional information.

5. School Records Requirements

• All rising ninth grade students must have proof of eighth grade completion.
• All rising tenth, eleventh, and twelfth grade students must provide an unofficial or
  official transcript from the previous high school.
• Students must provide official withdrawal information from the student’s previous
  school (optional). 

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2019 West Corporation. All rights reserved.